The Behavioral Lab at UNC Kenan-Flagler serves the behavioral research community in and around the School. It supports and promotes research on judgment and decision making as well as other work related to individual, group and organizational phenomena.
All UNC affiliates are welcome to use the Lab's resources for advertising and scheduling experiments.
We seek new participants to take part in behavioral decision research. Research generally focuses on some form of judgment or interpersonal interaction. We conduct three types of studies.
- Lab studies take place on the UNC campus. Participants are paid for their time. Our studies do not involve physical exertion or medical procedures. To learn about available studies and register, visit our scheduling site
- Online studies usually take between 5 and 60 minutes to complete. After you complete a study online you might be entered into a lottery for a chance to win a prize or receive compensation through gift certificates from com. Visit our scheduling site to learn about available studies and to register.
- Credit studies are for UNC Kenan-Flagler students only. Students enrolled in BUSI405 or BUSI406 courses have the opportunity to participate in research sessions and might be eligible to receive course credit for their participation. Consult your professor for details and how to register for studies.
Responsibilities & Rights
Your responsibilities and rights as a research participant set out our social contract for your participation in our studies.
Responsibilities: If you fail to fulfill your responsibilities as a research participant detailed we might remove you from our program.
- Know what studies you have already done.
- Do a study only once.
- Do not do a study if your prior participation in another study disqualifies you.
- If you can't make a study session, use the registration email to cancel your registration at least 1 hour before the study begins. More than 3 no-shows are grounds for removal.
- Arrive on time; if you are late you will not be allowed to participate.
- Do not reveal details of any study you have done to other potential participants.
- Do not solicit details of any study from other participants.
- If you are a psychology, marketing or OB graduate student or research assistant, do not participate in our studies.
- Check your e-mail before coming to your session. We announce cancellations and changes by e-mail.
- Do not try to participate in a study for which you are not already registered.
Rights: We are committed to treating you ethically and respectfully. Expect us to:
- Cancel in a timely manner when necessary; we will notify you by e-mail
- Obtain your written, informed consent before beginning a study
- Treat you like a person of worth during the study
- Give you information about the study at the end
- Answer your questions about the study
- Due process: If we believe that you have not completed your responsibilities as a participant (i.e., not showing up for signed-up sessions), we will notify you by e-mail that you have been found in violation and reserve the right to remove you from the system and future participation in studies.
Information for Researchers
If you are interested in running studies through the UNC Kenan-Flagler Behavioral Lab or in using our advertising and scheduling resources please visit our Information for Researchers page. Contact the Lab Manager with questions about our services.
We welcome the involvement of bright and motivated students. If you would like to join our lab as an undergraduate research assistant, please learn about our available opportunities here.ht © 2017 UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School 300
Oversight and contact information
- Matthew Pearsall, Associate Professor of Organizational Behavior, Coordinator of the Organizational Behavior Subject Pool and Director of the Center for Decision Research at UNC-Chapel Hill
- Claudia Kubowicz Malhotra- Clinical Associate Professor of Marketing and Coordinator of the Marketing Subject Pool
- Jacob West– Lab Manager
For questions about our services, contact Jacob West at email@example.com and at (919) 962-3033. Our mailing address is:
Kenan-Flagler Business School
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
McColl Building 4404, CB 3490
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3490
The Behavioral Lab is located in Rooms 4402/4404 of the McColl Building, home of UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School. Enter the main lobby of the McColl Building on the second floor, take the circular staircase to the fourth floor and turn right; the lab is located in the first hallway on the right.